April 2, 2012

Never Let me Go

So my weekend movie of choice was "Never Let Me Go", a film based on the book by Kazuo Ishiguro. It was very much in fitting with the dystopian mood I've been in recently (as I make my way through reading The Hunger Games series). #Spoiler alert, the science fiction film is about three friends who are grow up in a boarding school where they are bred for their organs. They are told at a very young age that their life will be shortened by their contributions to society and everybody seems to be half struggling/half accepting with this destiny. The one *curious thing I found about the film was the euphemism they had for passing away. It was called "completing". The last line of the movie was a nice and obvious closing to the reality of it: “We all complete. Maybe none of us really understand what we've lived through, or feel we've had enough time.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment