July 23, 2012

Empire State of Mind


A few blogs previously I depicted one of my favorite NYC landmarks which appeared on the cover of my favorite novel, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. Take a guess?

This is none other than the Empire State Building! I was lucky enough to take a ride up to the top of this iconic Big Apple monument last weekend under the encouragement of some friends and an out-of-town visitor. Can you believe after four years of living in NYC I still have never gone?


The ride to the top consisted of many many iconic emblems of the building in this very gold and emblazoned Art Deco style. It had a very Industrial, Gilded-age feeling.




The top of the ESB was actually very peaceful and there was even the soothing sounds of a jazz saxophone the moment you get off the elevator.



My tips: skip the express lines and go late at night. Last ride is at 2 a.m. You'll get amazing views of the night skyline without the headache of tourist lines! Just don't forget to bring your camera!


87 floors later....expect your ears to pop!


No comments:

Post a Comment